Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Black, White, and Red

When I saw both of these challenges, I couldn't resist combining them into one card! First, the Play Date Cafe challenge #97 is to use black and white with a splash of red. I may have gone overboard with my Tulip patterened paper, card stock, and ink, but I like it. (Isn't the inspiration photo gorgeous?)

When I read challenge #18 over at CAS-ual Fridays, I knew that I was hooked! I love to read, so the hardest part was deciding which book to use for inspiration! While it may not be my favorite book of all time, I recently read The Help (and saw the movie). I really liked them both, and I encourage you to read the book and/or see the movie! (The movie isn't one you have to see on the big screen, so if it's already passed in your area, definitely rent the DVD when it comes out. Even my Dad enjoyed the movie!)

If you've read the book or seen the movie, then you probably understand my inspiration. The main character Skeeter decides to write a book (anonymously) from the perspective of the black maids in her town, circa 1960 in the throes of the Civil Rights Movement. I chose to print the "Thank You" sentiment from my computer using a font that (to me at least) resembles a typewriter. Skeeter certainly owes her thanks and gratitude to the maids (and vice versa). I couldn't resist making a flower out of an old, worn out children's book. Inking the edges in Tulip made the flower much prettiers. Finally, I added some flourishes from the CTMH Bohemian Alphabet stamp set.

Thank YOU for stopping by and checking out my inspired card! Here's a close-up peek at the flower (made from a children's book that had fallen apart).

5 comments:

  1. Love those cards, and the flower is the coolest thing! I will have to be on the lookout for some falling-apart books. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card...as always. I think the flower is great!...xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card! I love that home-made flower, especially with the newsprint! Thanks for playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHHH! That flower is super gorgeous--love the red distressing! Thanks so much for joining in the fun and playing along with us over at the PDCC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful bloom on your gorgeous card! Thanks for playing at the CAS-ual Fridays Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leaving me a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails