Saturday, February 22, 2014

5"x7" Side Stair Card/Tutorial

Today is my Dad's birthday, and here is the cool card (if I do say so myself) that I made him.
It is a 5"x7" side step stair card, complete with a tutorial below.  (You can see a few other A2 side stair examples here and here.)  I really wanted to try the slightly larger size, and I LOVE the results.  It is even easier to cut and to decorate.  Begin with a 10"x7" card stock base.  If you want to stamp your base, do this before cutting and scoring.
Place a short side against the measuring edge of your paper trimmer (so that you will be making a long cut, as shown above) and set the left corner at 3".  On the cutting arm, move your blade to 2.5".  You will cut from 2.5" down to 9".  Next, turn your card 90 degrees so that the long edge is against the measuring edge of your trimmer.  USE YOUR SCORING BLADE and score from the cut to the edge of the base at 1".  (You are scoring the longer 4" section not the shorter 3" section.)  Move the base to 2" and score again.  Score again at 3.5".  At 5", score all the way across the entire card stock base.  The final score at 7.5" should be at the other edge of your cut.
Once you have finished cutting and scoring, first fold the card in half along the 5" complete score.  Leave the 3" side as a mountain fold, but push the other (4") side down to make a valley fold.  You will then have to fold the remaining edges to create your side stair card base.  Then you're ready to decorate!
Since my Dad's a pilot, I had to use my Lifting Spirits stamp set (even though he doesn't fly bi-wings).  I also used two retired stamp sets for the sentiments.  The Timberline paper pack is a great match on many levels: first the Ponderosa Pine color and then because he loves to go in his motorhome!  (It has a camping theme.)  I did a lot of fussy cutting for this card, but some of the clouds are from the CTMH/Cricut Artiste cartridge.
Here's a side shot so you can see how the elements and layers work together.  To finish the card, I embellished it with Gold polka dot and Lagoon houndstooth washi tape and Durables studs.  The inside has a white panel that finishes the sentiment with "growing up is optional!"

Thanks for helping me wish my Dad a very happy birthday!  I hope you're having fun celebrating in the sun.

All supplies from Close To My Heart: Lifting Spirits stamp set; Timberline paper pack; White Daisy card stock; Ponderosa Pine, Slate, Twilight, Goldrush, and Lagoon inks; Ponderosa Pine, Goldrush, and Twilight markers; Gold polka dot washi tape; Lagoon houndstooth washi tape; Durables studs; CTMH/Cricut Artiste cartridge

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful card! I bet your Dad will love it. Great tutorial, I appreciate seeing how it works.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leaving me a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails