Monday, January 4, 2021

H2H Challenges: Out with the Old, In with the New

 It's exciting to bring some changes to the Heart2Heart Challenge blog.  We will be posting two challenges each month, on the first and the third Mondays.  Our first challenge of 2021 is "Out with the Old, In with the New!"  I had a lot of fun trying some new products and techniques on my two cards!


They both use the same materials: Floral Background and Stitched Scalloped Brackets Thin Cuts; White Daisy and Peach cardstock; Tattered Rose, Abandoned Coral, and Peeled Paint distress oxide inks with mini blending tools (NEWLY available through CTMH); Smoothie ink; and the January stamp of the month, Every Thank You.


After I cut the first Floral Background panel, I decided that I wanted to keep one cut out white and then use another with the sponged distressed oxide inks.  If you are working with distress oxide inks, be sure to use an all-purpose craft mat for your work surface!  I began by inking the cut Floral Background with the Tattered Rose (lightest color) and then tried to ink the background panel for the white Floral Background card in similar places.  Then I sponged on the Abandoned Coral ink where I thought it might look best.  Finally, I sponged on the Peeled Paint on both pieces everywhere else.  The last step was the spritz water onto both pieces to activate that cool milky splatter feature of the distress oxide inks.  (Do you see the blueish spots on the green patches?  That's from the water reacting with the Peeled Paint distress oxide ink!)

For the cut/sponged panel, I decided to splatter Peach shimmer brush across the front to give it even more color.  I think it actually finished this busy card off nicely.  (I decided not to use it on the other card.)


The final step was to decide on sentiments and add them to the Stitched Scalloped Brackets, which I cut in Peach cardstock.  (I thought that I was going to use Smoothie, but it was just too bold.  Instead, that became my sentiment ink.)


Since I somehow got a smudge of blue ink on my White Daisy panel, I made sure to have my sentiment cover the mistake!  Don't you love how our cardstock is two-toned?  One side is the actual true shade, and the other is a lighter shade.  I also added some white enamel dots to that sentiment panel.

FINAL NOTE: You probably do NOT want to use distress inks directly on your card fronts, because some of the color bled through my cardstock panels.

Thanks for letting me share my most recent attempt with distress oxide inks with you!  Which card do you prefer? Be sure to join in on the H2H Challenge, Out with the Old, In with the New!

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leaving me a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails