Saturday, April 18, 2020

Tuxedo Fold Birthday Card

My sweet mother-in-law recently celebrated her birthday, and since we couldn't spend it with her, I decided to make an extra-special card for her.  I fell in love with the tuxedo fold card, and this is what I made for her.
It even folds flat for mailing.
I used the Celebrate Today collection and my CTMH/Cricut Artistry collection for the cuts.  I had fun embellishing the die cuts with various shimmer brushes.  (I don't love the Sappphire shimmer on Bluebird card stock, but what is done is done.)  I added a few white enamel dots for some dimension.

Honestly, this card was a challenge to make!  I watched a great video tutorial HERE, but it turns out I didn't have the correct card stock measurements.  The third try was a charm!  Then, my pop ups didn't work quite as well as I had hoped, but they're still pretty cute.  If you'd like to learn how, I'm adding a photo tutorial below.  I'd love a comment!

Begin with a piece of 8.25"x12" card stock for your card base.  (I chose Lemonade).  Score vertically at 2-3/4", 5.5", 8-1/4", and 11"
Turn your card stock 90 degrees.  On the left side (based on this view), mark at 2-3/4" and then score the first section only at 5.5"  On the opposite side (the right side in this view), score the 1" panel only at 5.5" and then score the 1" and next section at 2-3/4".  Now make the diagonal scores from the top center down to the left mark and from the top center down to the bottom right score mark.
 Cut away the top portion of the 1" section and then trim the tab at an angle (top and bottom).  The cuts are marked with Xs.
Next, cut out both top squares (first sections) and the triangles in the center sections.  These pieces are marked with Xs.
Now fold the "house" in half.  All of the vertical score marks get folded in to make the box.
Fold the triangle flap "lapels" out or down.

I forgot to include the dimensions for the cross pieces to make your pop ups, so be sure to watch the excellent video tutorial too!  Thanks for letting me share!

2 comments:

  1. I will watch your video, I’d like to make one of those for Miss E’s birthday next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not my video but rather the one that I used to make mine. Between it and hopefully my photos, you will have a lot of fun trying it! Happy early birthday to sweet Miss E!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leaving me a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails