Monday, July 1, 2013

H2H Challenges: Masking

 Since we've unveiled our new Heart 2 Heart Challenges Design Team, it's time for our first challenge!  We're challenging you to use the masking technique and some of your favorite CTMH products to create something special this week.  In honor of our Independence Day, here's the card I made:
This card uses a spray pen to create the white (masked) stars on the field of blue.  I used the Tommy paper pack and accented it with burlap ribbon (width cut in half), chipboard stars, and a 3-D foam dot.  Of course my stars were cut with the CTMH/Cricut Artiste cartridge and coordinating stamp set.  This color combo fits well with the ColourQ challenge #196.  The burlap ribbon is knotted on the left and hangs just a bit past the edge of the photo.




Here's a quick tutorial of how I created my field of stars:  I filled my spray pen up about half full with water, and then added a few drops of Outdoor Denim reinker.  I cut several different-sized stars from the same Artiste Cricut key.  (On the stamp set, it tell you which page in the booklet and what size to set your Cricut.) I added a dab of our Bonding Memories glue to the back of each star, and then set them aside while I mixed up my reinker in the spray pen.  (Letting the glue dry first creates a tacky, post-it type of adhesive.)
 Once I had the stars arranged on a 4" square of White Daisy card stock, I spritzed them with the spray pen.  (I laid a folded paper towel on a cookie sheet to catch the overspray.)
 It took a few spritzes to get the shade that I wanted.  (Yes, I did save the stars for another project!)
You can easily see how the stars created a mask and allowed me to have a neat two-toned piece of patterned card stock.  Give it a try, and then link up your masking project to the H2H challenge blog.

4 comments:

  1. Cute, cute card, Hayley, love your star background! Thanks for playing with us at the colourQ this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely spray painted background with masked stars--I'll have to dust off my spray pen and try it again soon. Thanks for the inspiration!
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent and creative background, love the green fabric ribbon. Thank you so much for sharing with us this week at the colourQ!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leaving me a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails